Skip to main content

Exploring Free Activities for Kids in Singapore ( Oct 2024 edition)

As a parent living in Singapore, I’m always on the lookout for fun and engaging activities for my kid that won’t empty my wallet. Luckily, Singapore is bursting with family-friendly places where we can create wonderful memories without spending a dime. Join me as I share some of our favorite free activities that are perfect for kids!

Gardens by the Bay: A Magical Experience

One of our first stops is always Gardens by the Bay. Even though some attractions charge admission, the gardens themselves are free to explore. My kids absolutely love wandering through the Supertree Grove, marveling at the towering structures that look like they belong in a fantasy movie. We often bring a picnic to enjoy on the lush lawns, and watching the evening light show is simply magical. It’s a wonderful way to introduce the kids to nature and inspire their imaginations.

There are also other activities that are organised throughout the year, so do check out their website for the most updated info!

P.S: We went to the Children's Festival and my kid had a blast!

Weekend out!

The digital photo done via a QR code onsite


Singapore Botanic Gardens: Nature’s Playground

Next on our list is the Singapore Botanic Gardens. This place is a gem! With vast green spaces and colorful blooms, it’s hard not to feel relaxed. The highlight for us is the Jacob Ballas Children’s Garden. It’s designed just for kids, featuring a treehouse, water play areas, and interactive exhibits. I love watching my children explore and connect with nature while I enjoy the tranquil surroundings.

Having a picnic outdoors!


East Coast Park: Fun in the Sun

When the weather’s perfect, we head to East Coast Park. This beachside haven is fantastic for family outings. We often rent bicycles and ride along the scenic paths, stopping to play beach games or simply enjoy the sun. The kids love the playgrounds, and the beach is great for building sandcastles. We usually pack a picnic, making it a full day of fun!

Enjoying the sandplay while others are picking up trash


Fort Canning Park: A Historical Adventure

Another favorite is Fort Canning Park. The park’s historical significance intrigues me, and my kids love running around the open spaces. We often explore the various trails, and there are plenty of spots for a good game of tag. The lush greenery and historic landmarks create a fascinating backdrop for our little adventures. It’s a perfect blend of education and fun!


Marina Barrage: Kites and Views

On breezy days, we love visiting the Marina Barrage. It’s the ultimate kite-flying destination! We pack our kites and enjoy the expansive green roof while soaking in stunning views of the city. The kids always have a blast running around, and I appreciate the educational exhibits about Singapore’s water management. It’s both entertaining and informative!


Sentosa Island

Even though many of the attractions require paid admission, we like to roam about and take pictures around the island. Accessing the island through the boardwalk is free, and you can walk or take the Sentosa Express for free while traveling within the island (and out of it).





Public Libraries: A World of Imagination

We also make regular visits to public libraries across the island. The children’s sections are magical places filled with stories waiting to be discovered. I love how many libraries host free storytelling sessions and workshops. It’s a perfect way to encourage my kids to develop a love for reading while engaging in creative activities.


Reading time with Dad

Taking the books by himself


Jurong Lake Gardens

Jurong Lake Gardens is truly a hidden gem in Singapore, offering a perfect blend of nature, recreation, and tranquility. As I strolled through the lush landscapes, I was immediately struck by the beautiful lakeside views and the vibrant flora that surrounds the area. The gardens are thoughtfully designed, providing ample space for families to relax, play, and connect with nature.

One of the trails available

Such beautiful scenery

Enjoying his time at Clusia Cove



Hiking our way through the lalang field

Heading back to civilisation


Free Workshops and Events: Learning Together

Finally, I keep an eye out for free workshops and community events. Libraries and community centers often host fun activities for kids, like arts and crafts sessions or cultural workshops. These events are perfect for sparking creativity and learning something new together as a family.

Attending the Mid Autumn Festival in our hood

Christmas fun!

At children's museum

More Christmas pics!

Braving the heat for Army Open House


Conclusion

Singapore has so much to offer for families looking for free activities. From beautiful gardens to exciting outdoor adventures, my kids and I are always discovering new places and experiences. Each outing strengthens our bond and creates lasting memories. So, if you’re in Singapore and looking for family-friendly fun, grab your kids and explore these amazing free spots together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Phonics Class at Curious Thoughts Academy (CTA)

Today, I am going to share my review of the phonics enrichment school that I have been sending Hunter to since start of July 2023. To give you the background, Curious Thoughts Academy (CTA) base its phonics classes on Jolly Phonics, and is located in Bugis.  I first got to know about CTA when they launched their phonics workshop. Being the ambitious mum, I thought that I could save some money and teach Hunter phonics by myself. After going through the workshop, I realised the amount of work I have to put in to curate the materials, and I decided that it is best left to the experts and I would just revise the contents with him at home during the week. Below are the information from CTA. They run the classes by terms and classes are tagged by levels.        Price List for 2023                         Hunter is currently in Intermediate phonics and will be advancing up next year.  I love the approach of Jolly phonics as they use songs and actions to capture the attention of kids. As this

[Review] Lovejoy confinement centre in JB

I did an unthinkable thing, which is to head over to JB for confinement. When I first suggested that, everyone around me warned me against it. They cited the lack of healthcare should I or Hunter is unwell and the inconvenience caused by the distance. I wasn't deterred and pushed forward with it and I didn't have any regrets. I enjoyed my time there tremendously and would go back there again if not for my insistence that I would not have a second kid. All that being said, there are definitely some cons but they are minor issues in my opinion. An unassuming front  Pros: Amazing food As everyone knows, food in JB tastes better and the confinement centre is no exception. 5 meals are provided a day with unlimited milo and biscuits should you be hungry. (Trust me, breastfeeding is hungry business). The timings are 9am (breakfast), 12pm (lunch), 3pm (teabreak), 6pm (dinner) and 9pm(supper). As you can see, I was really well taken care of in the food department when I was there. Huge

Review: Learning spanish with Wlingua Spanish

It has already been a dream of mine to learn Spanish but due to the astronomical cost involved in picking up Spanish at a language school ( I was looking at las lilas school ), I gave up. So, while I was randomly surfing the net, I came across this app, Wlingua Spanish , which has a 7 days free premium trial and it seems to have quite good reviews on google play. As such, I downloaded the app and started using it. What can I say, it's awesome! I don't know how the basic plan looks like since I am still on my premium trial, but the layout of the course is really pretty good. According to the app, it covers up to B1 of the Spanish course, which equates to around 3 years of study in a language school. That's more than good enough for beginners like us. Below is a screenshot of my progress in 4 days, and I have been spending around 4-5 hours each day on this app. It seems like I got to take a long time even before I can complete the A1 course. T.T This app has a rewar

Our 1st home

In a few months' time, we will be moving out of our BTO home. It is a bittersweet moment as we have painstakingly designed our place, putting in months of efforts. However, we (or mainly I) decided that we have outgrown this current flat, and require more space for our growing boy. (And it definitely does not help that both of us are currently working in a hybrid mode.) Our place before we shifted in: Our platform bed - You may be amazed that it fits a king sized bed We chose casement doors for the cupboards I love the spanish made wooden tiles! We got it at Soon Bee Huat Our customized racks in the bomb shelter The view from our home After moving in: The kitchen The living room It has been a good 6 years. 

Review: NUR1113 (Active Ageing in Singapore)

Apparently this is a year one nursing module. This is another module which is highly bidded for, and a relatively easy module. Lectures can be skipped, as long as you read the lecture slides on your own. All the information had been pasted into the slides, rendering the lecture useless. The lecturer usually just reads from the slides. Tutorials are easy. Nothing much to prepare, and basically, they are logic questions. I remember doing a powerpoint presentation for this module. We also did random experiments in tutorials. However, one thing not good about being the minority in a close-knitted faculty means that you can't really interact with the rest of the module mates. They all have a similar timetable, meaning that you have to suit their timing. Something to consider if you are taking language modules huh.